1971 Porsche 914/6
This very attractive Porsche 914/6 with VIN #914 043 2306 was delivered to Volkswagen of America, Los Angeles on June 1, 1970, and then retailed new on 26 March 1971 by the Sunland Motors Porsche / Audi dealership on East Fremont Street, Las Vegas to a Mr. Richard Ruth of Warm Springs, Montana for the princely sum of $6,008.25 inclusive of tax and discount; we will never know if Mr. Ruth had been on a winning streak on the Strip that day but we assume he was a car enthusiast all the same since the original dealer invoice shows that he chose the 914/6 with the following extras:
- leather wheel
- tinted glass
- alloy wheels
- special paint (L97P Metallic Green Code No. 8310)
- AM FM stereo (Blaupunkt ‘Richmond’ with cassette)
- wood dash
According to a two-page history sheet also on file, the 914/6 was treated to a thorough and comprehensive restoration when the mileage was showing 68,500 and this included:
- Rebuild of the six-cylinder engine
- Line bored
- New main and connecting rod bearings
- Magnafluxed crankshaft and connecting rods
- New counter gear assembly and bearings
- Latest type chain ramps
- Mahle pistons/cylinders
- Phosphorous bronze valve guides
- Rebuilt carburetors by Eurometrix with modified chamber venting
- Rebuilt starter
- Rebuilt alternator
- New voltage regulator, ignition harness and Marelli distributor
- All engine sheet metal powder coated
- Transmission inspected/resealed
- Half shafts cleaned/packed/retested
The wheels are correct Fuchs 5 spoke 14in alloys that were polished with black accents and new lug nuts fitted.
Not surprisingly the Porsche won four First Place 914 Concours Awards (such as Zone 8 PCA Concours at the Coast, San Luis Obispo, CA) and there are various period photos on file showing the car from this time of its ownership.
The current owner acquired the car in January 1995 at which time the mileage was 68,500 with the intention to keep the car preserved, the result of which is that the mileage today is just 68,509 determining that it has covered 9 miles in the past 25 years….
Prior to our inspection in December last year, the owner asked a specialist Porsche mechanic to ensure that the 914/6 was ‘on the button’ and indeed, it started up from stone cold and the motor ran sweetly. It is offered with tool roll, original Owner’s Manual, the aforementioned original maintenance booklet, later service receipts and some photographs relating to its prior ownership.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND PRICE