1966 Lynx / D-Type / XKSS
- The original run of now legendary Jaguar D-types and later XKSS variants were delivered from May 1954 through September 1957; just 71 D-types were built up until 1955 followed by 16 more road-friendly and converted XKSS examples.
The design was highly advanced and became a classic masterpiece featuring an aircraft style center monocoque tub, Jaguar XK 3.4 Litre engine with triple Weber carburetors, Dunlop disc brakes and beautiful, streamlined, lightweight aluminium bodywork. Racing success was achieved worldwide with both the factory Works and customers cars, the most famous victories being the triple crown at the 24 Hours race of Le Mans between 1955 and 1957.
It is often said that ‘imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’ and with the original Jaguar examples being both extremely rare and accordingly valuable, a number of firms have over the years produced their own versions. One of the best-known firms and supporting name in the business was the Sussex, UK based company Lynx Engineering Ltd. Founded in 1968 by Guy Black, Chris Keith-Lucas and Roger Ludgate they originally specialized in the repair and race preparation of original C/D & E-Type Jaguars. Realizing that there was a demand that exceeded the original supply, they decided to produce their own D-Type and XKSS versions based on production Jaguar E-Type running gear. Visually their examples were very close facsimiles to the originals (they had of course examples of original cars in their facilities) and their skilled workforce were able to replicate the production techniques.
As an early Lynx, such as this car is, they had the hand built paneling work performed by respected London coachbuilders Williams & Pritchard. Mechanical differences included the adoption of the E-Type gearbox, brakes and independent rear suspension (an improvement over the original live rear axle arrangement), a 3.8 Litre XK engine running on triple Weber carburetors and non-functioning dry sump oil tanks. According to Chris Keith-Lucas, some 52 Lynx D-Types were built, as well as a further 5 XKSS examples.
This car was known internally as L 77-1 and was in fact the second example produced after the prototype and was the very first car that Lynx sold to a member of the public in 1977 being built in original long nose D-Type form for famed American collector and SCCA racer Anatoly “Toly” Arutunoff.
While it remains unknown how long Mr. Arutunoff kept his Lynx, by 2008 it was sold via good friends at Fantasy Junction in California and who sold it firstly on behalf of an owner in Dublin, CA to Mr. Stephen Glenn in Napa, CA before again selling it 2 years later to a collector in Hong Kong. It then ended up back in England and where it joined its current ownership of a well-known USA collector and historic race driver, someone who has a particular passion for Jaguar D-Types having raced and owned several original examples in the mid-1960s.
In 2013, the current owner decided to convert his Lynx D to XKSS specifications and this work was performed much in the same manner as Jaguar would have done in 1956/57 when the factory converted several unsold racing cars to roadgoing specification. The conversion to this car included fitting a full width windscreen, removal of the center dividing top bar in the cockpit and the fitment of a proper full-sized passenger seat, a convertible top, side screens, luggage rack and the addition of small bumpers. This conversion work was all entrusted to D-Type Developments Ltd, in Norfolk, England and included remaking the bonnet and re-shaping the rear end to the correct shape of an original XKSS. In addition, the car was dismantled, and the chassis, suspension and brakes were all refurbished. A photographic record of this work is available upon request and the conversion cost at the time was £75,285.00.
Based off the donor E-Type the car is registered as a 1966 vehicle for road use.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PRICE INFORMATION